So far, February has brought some shocking news. I hope it ends TODAY.
On the first, we found out Tally's "wart" on his arm that he had removed was actually skin cancer. Luckily he wanted to have it removed before he climbed Kilimanjaro (it kept opening up and bleeding). The doctor did a biopsy and discovered it was Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. It's so rare that there's not a common name - this is the latin name. Since the doctor didn't know it was cancer (hasn't seen this in 10 years), he doesn't know if he got all the affected tissue out. So, Tally is going to a specialist in Zurich next week to determine how/when they will reopen it. The hard thing is, Tal is supposed to go to Kilimanjaro in 2 weeks and it would not be wise to go with a fresh wound. But it probably wouldn't be wise to go with cancer in his arm either. The cancer is characteristically slow-moving so waiting a month might be okay. We are also in the process of moving, date STILL to be determined.
So I thought that was scary and it would be a lot scarier if left untreated. But today I got a call from my friend Niina, who was one of the first people I met when we came to Zurich. I sat right next to her when I worked at Goldman, two BIG pregnant bellies. We were both expecting girls. And they were both big, healthy babies.
Our fabulous work friends - I swear we were productive
The little princesses at 2 months - love those chunky legs!
Over the three years we have been here, we have become even better friends. Her daughter, Wilma and Kelsey have played and our families have gathered for birthday parties, BBQs, and dinners. When I got pregnant with Aiden, we laughed when she told me she was pregnant too - both of us with BOYS! Before we left for the US for Thanksgiving, I took one month photos of Wilhelm.
Wilma & Kelsey playing before the shoot
One of my favorites from the shoot. I love that smile - such a proud big sister!
Niina and I have been trying to connect again now that the holidays are over, but I hadn't heard from her in a few weeks. She called me today to tell me the reason she hasn't been reachable is because Wilma, her daughter, has Acute Leukemia and has been undergoing Chemotherapy.
Niina remained strong while I fought back tears upon hearing this news. It felt like a ton of bricks. My first thought was, 'how could this happen?' We talked for awhile. All appropriate measures are being taken and though this is just the beginning, she's a tough cookie and will make it through. But my heart breaks for them. Of course I think of Kelsey, and can't imagine going thorough what they are going through.
So cancer sucks.
I know Lord loves little Wilma and her family. And I'm not in any way comparing skin cancer with Leukemia, just relating my experience to hearing the big bad word CANCER hit so close to home.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Super Princess Wilma, as you fight off the big bad cancer guys and always.



5 comments:
How scarey! I hope things work out for Tal & Little Wilma.I agree Cancer sucks and I'm sorry it is part of your life right now- big hugs! Love you!
So sorry to hear about Tally's cancer. Although, knowing Tally, nothing is going to stop him - especially not something like cancer. This week a doctor's visit and next week off to conquer Mt. Kilimanjaro. You guys are awesome!
Good luck with everything, you're definitely in our prayers!
Words just don't really seem appropriate, but for all it is worth I am sorry for both you and for your dear friends. I will be keeping you both in my prayers. Hopefully, in regards to Tal they have caught this early and it has not spread deeper into his tissue. A guy in our ward who had something very similar. He heard a guy at church bear his testimony about cancer and felt promted to go get his moles checked out. Sure enough he did have cancer, but so far they have been able to catch everything early on and no chemo was needed. Now he goes to the doc about every 6 months to check for new growths. Hugs from across the ocean.
Sorry didn't realize my son was signed in. Skyfighter is me=Kelleyn
Your family is in my thoughts and prayers as well as your sweet friend who is fighting for her Princess. The Lord has such a different plan for each of us.
Post a Comment