He left on Wednesday of last week and today, Wednesday, one week later, we finally heard from him!!
Here's how the first email started (I'm sure he'd love me sharing this):
"I had some struggles but I made it and the entire mountain was beautiful (especially the top - but that also had to do with the fact that it meant I didn't have to climb up any more that day)
We are leaving on Safari now. Sorry I couldn't get skype working.
I try again next time I have Internet."
I know that everyone made it to the summit and they've got a story to tell. I can't wait to hear more and see pictures. I got a call on my mom's cell from him, which was awesome, I got to hear his voice. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand a word he said. It cut out most of the time so I understood something like this:
"Hon-----you----eah-----------so c----t---------ob--------------------we----------"
I was just so excited to hear his voice - however broken up - I stayed talking to him for a good few minutes. I guess he could hear me, which was good. Too bad Kelsey was sleeping. I also got a few calls from him tonight but it never went through. Big Bummer. I feel very grateful that he is okay, that everyone is okay, and that I have such a wonderful husband. Being without him makes me realize even more how much I love him.
My friend Jessi, who's husband Jacob is on the trip with Tally, sent me their itinerary. So for those who are interested, I've pasted it below.
February 25th After breakfast drive to Serengeti, game drive en route with picnic lunch. The legendarySerengeti is the archetypal safari destination and is renowned for its wealth of leopard and lion. Dinner and overnight at Seronera Camp.
February 26th After breakfast discover the Serengeti plain with a full day tour. Serengeti, meaning ‘endless plains’, is home to the annual migration of more than a million wildebeest, 200,000 zebra and 300,000 Thomson’s gazelle undertaking their long trek to new grazing grounds. The Serengeti ecosystem is one of the oldest on earth. Dinner and overnight at Seronera Camp.
February 27th Early morning game drive, come back for breakfast, we then proceed with game drive until lunch. After lunch, we drive to Ngorongoro via Oldupai Gorge. The Oldupai Gorge provides evidence of the earliest signs of mankind, where hominid footprints are preserved in volcanic rock 3,600,000 years old. Ngorongoro Crater is the world largest caldera measuring 1900 feet in depth and covering 150 square miles in area. Transfer back to Kilimanjaro to be ready for the race.
February 28th Half Marathon in Kilimanjaro. CALL HIS WIFE.
March 1st Fly back to Switzerland.
When Tal flies back to Switzerland he will work from there for a week or two and then meet me in Cali. After a weekend of sun and Beanscene, we will fly to SLC to start anew.
Tal - we're so proud of you for summitting and being such a stud! You're the best husband/daddy and we hope you see lots of cool animals on your safari and take lots of pictures! Kelsey keeps asking about you and wants to know, "where does daddy live?"
February 17th Arrive Kilimanjaro International Airport where you will be met by Tanzania Journeys representative and transferred to your hotel in Moshi. Briefing with guide to prepare you for the climb ahead. Overnight at Sal Salinero Hotel
February 18th We will be picked up from the hotel and transferred toMachame Route via Machame Gate (5,905 ft). From the gate we commence a walk (6-8 hours) through thick mountain forest to Machame Hut (9,842ft). At Machame hut camp is set for dinner and overnight stay.
February 19th After breakfast we slowly start trekking (4-6 hours) through the moor land zone, enjoying superb views of Shira Plateau and Mount Meru, an extinct volcano. Dinner and overnight stay at Shira Hut (12,598 ft).
February 20th Depart Shira Hut in the morning taking the path which rises up gradually towards the Kibo peak, after reaching the wedge, Buttress point, the path drops down to the Barranco Hut (6 hours walking). Dinner and overnight stay at Barranco Hut (12,960 ft).
February 21st Leave slowly crossing the floor of the great Barranco Valley and up the Barranco wall; continue the trek on the South Circuit path through the Karanga Valley. Then slowly trek (7 hours) to Barafu Hut (15,091 ft) from Barafu you will have excellent views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. Barufu Hut is situated on an exposed and dangerous ridge, so it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the terrain before dark. Rest and prepare for summit night. Dinner and overnight stay at Barafu Hut.
February 22nd A midnight start to conquer the highest point in Africa. This section of the route is considered one of the steepest on the non-technical paths of Kilimanjaro. It is a 6-7 hour hike to Stella Point (18,815 ft) in order to see the sunrise. From Stella Point it is a 1 hour to Uhuru Peak (19,340 ft) and the roof of Africa. We then descend down to Mweka Hut for dinner and overnight stay.
February 18th We will be picked up from the hotel and transferred toMachame Route via Machame Gate (5,905 ft). From the gate we commence a walk (6-8 hours) through thick mountain forest to Machame Hut (9,842ft). At Machame hut camp is set for dinner and overnight stay.
February 19th After breakfast we slowly start trekking (4-6 hours) through the moor land zone, enjoying superb views of Shira Plateau and Mount Meru, an extinct volcano. Dinner and overnight stay at Shira Hut (12,598 ft).
February 20th Depart Shira Hut in the morning taking the path which rises up gradually towards the Kibo peak, after reaching the wedge, Buttress point, the path drops down to the Barranco Hut (6 hours walking). Dinner and overnight stay at Barranco Hut (12,960 ft).
February 21st Leave slowly crossing the floor of the great Barranco Valley and up the Barranco wall; continue the trek on the South Circuit path through the Karanga Valley. Then slowly trek (7 hours) to Barafu Hut (15,091 ft) from Barafu you will have excellent views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. Barufu Hut is situated on an exposed and dangerous ridge, so it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the terrain before dark. Rest and prepare for summit night. Dinner and overnight stay at Barafu Hut.
February 22nd A midnight start to conquer the highest point in Africa. This section of the route is considered one of the steepest on the non-technical paths of Kilimanjaro. It is a 6-7 hour hike to Stella Point (18,815 ft) in order to see the sunrise. From Stella Point it is a 1 hour to Uhuru Peak (19,340 ft) and the roof of Africa. We then descend down to Mweka Hut for dinner and overnight stay.
February 23rd An easy day walking to Mweka gate where a waiting vehicle will transfer
you to your hotel. Overnight stay at Sal Salinero Hotel.
February 24th Depart for Lake Manyara National Park with picnic lunch, game drive until late afternoon.Lake Manyara is tucked beneath the Rift Valley wall. A thin green band of forest flanked by the 1900 feet of sheer high red and brown cliffs of the escarpment and the shores of the soda lake which gives name to the park. Famous for its tree-climbing lions, Manyara features nearly 400 different species of bird, red-billed quelea, pelicans, comorants and thousands of flamingos. Drive to Migunga Camp for dinner and overnightFebruary 25th After breakfast drive to Serengeti, game drive en route with picnic lunch. The legendarySerengeti is the archetypal safari destination and is renowned for its wealth of leopard and lion. Dinner and overnight at Seronera Camp.
February 26th After breakfast discover the Serengeti plain with a full day tour. Serengeti, meaning ‘endless plains’, is home to the annual migration of more than a million wildebeest, 200,000 zebra and 300,000 Thomson’s gazelle undertaking their long trek to new grazing grounds. The Serengeti ecosystem is one of the oldest on earth. Dinner and overnight at Seronera Camp.
February 27th Early morning game drive, come back for breakfast, we then proceed with game drive until lunch. After lunch, we drive to Ngorongoro via Oldupai Gorge. The Oldupai Gorge provides evidence of the earliest signs of mankind, where hominid footprints are preserved in volcanic rock 3,600,000 years old. Ngorongoro Crater is the world largest caldera measuring 1900 feet in depth and covering 150 square miles in area. Transfer back to Kilimanjaro to be ready for the race.
February 28th Half Marathon in Kilimanjaro. CALL HIS WIFE.
March 1st Fly back to Switzerland.
When Tal flies back to Switzerland he will work from there for a week or two and then meet me in Cali. After a weekend of sun and Beanscene, we will fly to SLC to start anew.
Tal - we're so proud of you for summitting and being such a stud! You're the best husband/daddy and we hope you see lots of cool animals on your safari and take lots of pictures! Kelsey keeps asking about you and wants to know, "where does daddy live?"
2 comments:
Oh cool that Tal got to do that! And fun that you're moving back here! Do you know where you're going to be in Utah yet?
So glad you posted, I have called a couple times and wondered when exactly he went and where you have been hiding. Cannot wait to see you guys, you will probably wonder how I survived three years without you when you get back and realize I have very few friends here ;op Thanks for sharing the itinerary, I'm so jealous I am nearly crying (top place in the world I want to go--African safari) cool to be able to know what he is doing though. Hang in there without Tally, you are awesome!
ps, love that our blogs coordinate if they are pulled up next to each other ;op
Post a Comment