
Swiss Trash vs. American Trash
Nice, neat piles only 5 inches thick with a string tied around it vs. the pile of crap we throw in our recycle bins back home. When I took this picture, I was unraveling my old BYU binder (don't ask my why I brought it to Switzerland) to make it Swiss approved for recycling. It seriously took me a good 15-20 minutes and I had to use a few tools in the process. I had to laugh at myself when I finally finished and tied it into a neat stack. Can you imagine instituting these piles in America? People stack them next to the road on a certain day and they are picked up by the city. Speaking of, it's already time to prepare the next batch for tomorrow (it's once a month, my turnaround time is not so good on personal photos...)
2 comments:
Yep ... spoiled, lazy Americans. I think people would throw a fit if that system was instituted here. Or else everyone would just stop recycling. :)
I agree all the recycling is better for the environment, but I think they could make it a little easier. That was one of my biggest pet peves in Switzerland was trying to figure out what goes where and when and how. When you have small children who has time for that. Here I just chuck it all in one big bin and they take it away every Tuesday. The hardest part in Switzerland was that we had no balcony, so I had piles of recycling stacked in my kitchen for lack of any other place to put it. It grossed me out. I think if they tried to institute Swiss recycling here in the States there would be riots in the streets.
Post a Comment