Sunday, March 08, 2009

Reminds me of my Daddy

Tally and I were talking this afternoon about Kenny Loggins (we have the lullaby CD, my dad gave it to us when Kelsey was born). I was telling him that one of my favorite Kenny Loggins songs is "The Real Thing." It's Kenny explaining to his daughter Amanda why her parents got a divorce and that the real thing you need is love. Not only do I love the melody, but I love the memory it carries for me: Saturday afternoons sitting on the couch with my dad, in front of the stereo with the CD cover/lyrics in hand, discussing and listening to songs together. I think it's that memory - and the fact that it's a dad singing to his daughter - that makes it a special song for me because I don't necessarily agree with all Kenny's lyrics. There are several other CDs/songs we would listen to: James Taylor, Toto, Michael McDonald, Don Henley, Bonnie Rait...What songs remind you of your dad/childhood?

And I love how 80's/early 90's this video is...enjoy.

4 comments:

mary said...

Oh gosh, a whole lot of songs remind me of my dad. Roger Whittaker mostly -- probably NOBODY has any clue who he is, but we used to listen to him as we drove from seminary to school every morning. And my dad would be a total goof during these songs, and I loved him for it.

So in answer to your recent comments:
a) the blog fairy actually just did the header and the names on the side. The rest of the changes, I'm proud to say, were actually mine. You can do the 3-column template yourself. Search the blogger website and you can find instructions. I can't remember exactly where. (I was kind of amazed it worked because html is not my thing.)

b) The photo blog is still under construction. As in, I should have been posting on it for about the past 12 months, so I'm trying to actually dig up pictures and post them FINALLY. I'll make it public when I get a good start. I confess I never feel like like it's a really big priority, so I kind of drag my feet.

The end.

Holly said...

That's so funny because I used to listen to this song too and it brings back sooooo many memories! :)

CJ said...

Pretty much any soundtrack from old musicals like The Music Man, Fiddler On The Roof, Rigoletto, and on and on. My dad would always rent these kinds of movies and I would watch them with him when nobody else would. I have all the songs memorized.

Tiffany said...

Funny funny, I LOVE that song!! My Mom had that CD and I would sit in front of the mirror and sing it :) So many songs remind me of YOUR Dad, he is such a music lover but the songs that remind me of my Dad are "Thumbelina" and "The Monkey and the Chimp" :)