Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rothenberg & Rhinefalls

City by night, old walls of the city, cool pics I like, schneeballs, entrance to the city

Rothenberg is a medieval city that in the middle ages was Germany's second-largest city with a whopping population of 6,000. There are a lot of buildings dating back to the 1300's (at least in some form) and one family that was mentioned whose descendants built the house back in the 1500's. We walked along the old walls and looked at the names along the walls. After WWII Rothenberg was out of funds to keep up its historic sites. They petitioned for donors and whoever donated got their name inscribed on the wall. Schneeballs are a local favorite and compare to the American doughnut. They're so yummy when filled with chocolate and dipped in hot chocolate. We bought a few Christmas ornaments (they are known for their Weinachts Markt or Christmas Market) from an old lady who owns a tourist shop. She was so sweet and gave us a map of the city which she had hand-drawn. It was beautiful. That's why we went back and bought more than just postcards. We had a great time.


The Princess of Rothenberg

The Night Watchman
I DEFINITELY recommend this tour to anyone going here. It's a must. The tour guide, rather, Rothenberg's last surviving Night Watchman, speaks with a dramatic accent and tells all about the history of the city in a very comical way.
The city gate with the MANHOLE. Which is exactly what Tally is... (Price fam - remember that game of Catch Phrase we played when Tally and I were married? The word I got was manhole. You guessed HOLE and that the first part of the word had three letters. I said, "what Tally is..." Then I realized the other three letters that could come before that word. Opps. I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I can't imagine what you guys were thinking...) Anyway, if someone wanted to come into the city past curfew, they had to go through the manhole because it was too dangerous to open the entire gate for a straggler. If you were late, you also had to pay a fine.

Haus Karin

Karin is the lady talking to Kelsey. She is a resident of Rothenberg who runs a B&B out of her home. She was so fun to hang out with at breakfast - such a character. The guys across the table from us were from South Carolina. Our friends Mike & Anna stayed here and recommended the place. We couldn't help but think of you guys when we were here!
After breakfast, we were on the road back home.


On the way home on Tuesday, we made a quick stop at Rhinefalls. It's one of the biggest waterfalls in Europe.


1 comment:

Balagna Bunch said...

Oh, who could forget that game of Catch phrase. I didn't know you could move so fast!