Oma spoiled me with a chocolate eclair and I still want more!
Look at all these babies!? It took some quick, low distraction techniques to get her away from this situation (i.e. DIRTY DISGUSTING PIGEONS, which she loves)
I'm big stuff around here

Oma chasing Kelsey around in the square outside the huge cathedral in Como

The boat ride to Bellagio
Technically, this is a terrible picture but I love the expressions on their faces.

A Tender Moment

Lee stayed near the lake with Kelsey while she slept while Brent and I did some window shopping up and down the small, steep streets of Bellagio.

Lots of stairs = not good for baby strollers and Opas

A miscommunication turned into a fun experience. I asked them if I could go to deck that looked outside so that I could take a picture and pointed to the ceiling. The next thing I knew, the guy was took me to the captain's room and introduced me to the crew that drive the boat. Like I'm a captain/crew fanatic or something!? Anyway, I took my pictures and in Spanish and English (they spoke Italian) we communicated about photography and the music they played from an old boom box perched between two posts with bungy cords. Clever Italians. I always wanted to learn Italian - even starting a class in college - now I know it would have proved useful, if only for a day or two.

The little town of Bellagio

The sun set on our day in Como while on the boat ride back.

On the way back home, the worst thing I could have imagined, happened (okay, definitely not the worst but pretty bad at the time). The GOTTHARD TUNNEL WAS CLOSED. What!? Is there even another way home, I thought, besides right through the Alps? Oh yes, UP them, and then back DOWN. So in the dark, fog of night we drove through steep, windy mountain passes to get home. I'm sure it would have been beautiful during the day but it was WHITE KNUCKLES for me. Luckily the car in front of me went slow and I didn't mind being behind it. Did I mention that the Swiss don't put GUARD RAILS up around turns when a steep cliff is only inches from the road? Does Parley's Canyon ring a bell to anyone else? Anyway, we were very blessed to make it home safely (I'm sure Brent and Lee heaved a sigh of relief too).
4 comments:
Oh yeah--glad you made it home in one piece this time!
I love Como it is so beautiful. You know why the captain let you drive tha boat? The Italiens love blondes. Sorry the tunnel was closed. We got stuck in the tunnel on our way to Italy this summer. Not so fun. Did you know George Clooney has a house there alone with Versace sister. I think her name is Donnatella or something like that.
Oh man. That would be a nightmare to make that drive at night!! Good thing it wasn't winter! I guess they technically close it at some point, but that would be awful with icy roads.
Loved the Bellagio pics. We made that trip and absolutely loved it. Kels is so beautiful.
lol, totally thinking parleys while reading about your drive! hahaha
Post a Comment