
On our way back to Zurich, we stopped in New York for a few days so Tally could attend a conference for work.

We stayed in the Millennium Hilton which is right across from ground zero. I stayed here a few years back when I traveled with Goldman.

This is the view of ground zero from our hotel window. The huge hole in the ground will one day be filled with the new Freedom Tower. But the twin towers will never be replaced.

The stories of 911 never cease to amaze me - the heroic efforts, the loss and devastation, the legacy that it has left behind. As we talked with the bellhop at our hotel, he told us his story. He was working at the hotel at the time and when the first plane hit, they evacuated the hotel. His life was spared, but many of his friends were not. He remembers watching people jump from the building and almost shudders as he recalls the horror. He volunteered with the fire department to help in the search and rescue efforts and took close to 3,000 pictures of the aftermath. When the media offered to pay him for the photos, he burned them (a huge loss for history's sake, IMHO). He said he didn't want to make money off the carnage of his friends. The hotel didn't reopen until 2003. Wherever you were on 9/11, you remember and to one degree or another, it has changed your life. I know I will never forget.
Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
Kels & I went to see the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island on a whim the first day we were there. We ended up having a lot of fun and seeing a lot of cool things. People thought I was nuts to be taking her by myself, but it wasn't too bad. It was a chilly outside, but not bad enough to keep us inside all day and it wasn't snowing so we seized the day.
Looking up Lady Liberty's skirt (not on purpose)
Ellis Island - I'm sure some of our ancestors came through here, but it would have been nice to know which ones/where/what their story was before going.
A Different Skyline
Tally's favorite bull
While here, we also got to see the Barlows in Connecticut. The kids hadn't changed too much (thank goodness) and Alyssa still doesn't have pregnancy "fat face" so there weren't any surprises. We had pizza, danced around with Mia, and the girls made a record-time Costco run. Our point & shoot broke so it was our last chance to get a decent price on a camera.
Kelsey and I also got to have lunch with Abbie, which was wonderful as always. She's doing really well too. This picture is horrible quality, thus the new camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment