Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scarlet Fever!!!

The night before, Kelsey had been complaining that her tummy hurt and she said she was "a little bit sick." Since she says both of those things almost quite often, I didn't pay much attention to it. Not until she woke up and said her throat hurt. I gave her a Cold Ease cough drop and within seconds she broke out in this rash. I immediately made an appointment with the doctor and he diagnosed her with SCARLET FEVER!?!? I guess it is strep throat with a rash and high fever. I had it when I was 5 (hospitalized, I remember fighting the doctors/nurses/parents as they put me in a cold tub) and I guess my mom had it when she was little. Maybe something in our genes is prone to it. It's extremely contagious so the doc told us to stay "quarantined" inside the house. Great. Luckily, after 24 hours of antibiotics she was doing GREAT. Maybe even TOO great. She was BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS! Much better to see her doing that than being miserable.

Poor baby isn't feeling well at all. And her FACE was even swollen!
Nothing like a pink smoothie to make you feel better




Luckily this little guy hasn't gotten it...yet. 

As I post this, I am on my first day of antibiotics (Keflex b/c I'm allergic to Penicillin) because I CAUGHT IT! Urgh...Tally had it too and I thought he was over it (didn't realize he had strep) and I kissed him. What a sucker! Kelsey started complaining tonight that she's sick again so I pulled out the unused Amoxicillin from the garbage can and gave it to her. Antibiotics and I have a love-hate relationship. My parents come to town this week and I don't want us all to be sick - or to get them sick - or my kids and myself to be miserable! I love and hate what they do to my body. It's our first full winter back in the US and we have a lot of new strains to be introduced to. I guess illness is inevitable, even if we're eating healthier.

2 comments:

Mikaela said...

I was just thinking we hadn't talked in a while. . . makes sense if your whole house has been miserable even after Kelsey got better. Shad has actually been really sick all week too, so hopefully everyone gets better and we can play soon!

likeschocolate said...

It is a good thing that you went to the doctor right away. Scarlett Fever can be dangerous untreated especially to the heart. My husbands father had it as a child and it left him with a weakened heart. Hope you are all feeling better asap.