Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A few thoughts...

Tonight I am grateful.

I had a rough day and Tal is out of town with the car. I couldn't have done today without my friend Jenna and my neighbors Mel & Torsten. I thought my water broke this morning, but it turns out I must have just peed my pants. Give me a break, the baby is PUSHING on my bladder. But I never felt the "release" and I never experienced having my water break with Kelsey. However, I didn't call the doctor because A. he's out of town and B. contractions never started. So after vacuuming every inch of the bedrooms, organizing, and moving stuff around, I made Kelsey lunch.

When I went to wash her hands when she was done, she tried to get away by playing dead while her hands were in mine at the sink. This resulted in nurse maid elbow round 2. The doc was out for two hours for lunch and the emergency room told me to wait until the doc was back. I snuggled with my pain-filled daughter until she fell asleep.


Then got ready and took her in the stroller to the doctor via train. NIGHTMARE. I ended up having to pull the stroller up a bunch of stairs while praying for the train that had already arrived to wait for me. Then two good samaritans stopped the train and helped me up the rest of the way with the stroller. At this point my tears ran over. These were not mere tears but sobs of "I can't do this by myself" and "I'm extremely pregnant and emotional right now." It's a good thing Tally didn't pick up the phone or else he'd be home by now. Wait, maybe that would be a good thing. The doctor fixed her elbow immediately and she was back to her old self.

SO GRATEFUL.

Jenna picked me up from the train station, hydrated me, took Kelsey, and then I was on my way with the Huntington family to a photoshoot. It was lovely. Beautiful sights, Hopefully great pictures. Fun family. They took me back to Jenna's at 9pm - Jenna's girls were still up playing with Kelsey WAY past their bedtime. Jenna drove me & Kels home, brought up the groceries she bought me that day, and gave me encouragement. As I bathed Kelsey, I remembered my 4am PST phone call to my parents about Kelsey's elbow and my water and thought they must be worried about me. I called my dad and he asked why I hadn't seen a doctor yet about the baby and possible water breakage. I was so tired and knew that if I called they would want me to come in. But the though of my little baby in distress because I was too busy or tired to check up on him made me call. Sure enough, come in. I tried to call my wonderful neighbors, but their cell phones were already turned off for the night. So I rang the bell. They were just getting ready to go to bed, but with no thought, Torsten stayed on our couch to watch the sleeping Kelsey and Melanie took me to the hospital. We had a great chat, and it was bittersweet because she told me they will be moving at the end of August to an amazing flat. Good for them, sad for us. All checked out well with the baby and it is always fun to hear his heartbeat and hear him move. I am 1cm dialated and the nurse said she wouldn't be surprised to see me again in a few days. She told me to get my husband home (he will be on his way soon).

So why am I telling you all this? It's selfish really. I want to remember how incredibly selfless my friends (and a few strangers) have been towards me and my family in our times of need. I hope one day to be able to pay them back, but if not, to pay it forward. I can only hope that through their service, both sides gain an increase of love, which will form life-long friendships.

On another note, tonight made me so anxious and excited to see my little boy. Maybe that's why it's 2am and I'm amped like a kid on Christmas Eve. I can't wait to know what he looks like, how he'll react to certain things - how Kelsey will react to him! Well, I can wait. At least 3 or so more days. So I'll do my best to hold him in for a bit longer and resist my nesting feelings. I'm excited to meet you baby! I can already tell you're going to be sweet. Thanks for staying all cooped up in mommy's tummy to wait for daddy to come home. And for putting up with all of the roughness your big sister throws your way.

11 comments:

Dad said...

Thanks for going to the doctor. Now you and we can sleep well tonight knowing all is well with Tally Jr. We are so grateful too for your friends who care for you even when it is inconvenient. You have, and will do in the future, the same for others as they have done for you. It is often harder to be a gracious receiver of service than a selfless giver of service. Almost always our prayers are answered by the service of other people rather than devine intervention.
Dad

likeschocolate said...

When I was pregnant with my first I workded full time as a nanny. About a month before my due date, I was having a lot of brax and hicks, but didn't know they were just brax and hicks because they hurt so bad and were coming so frequently. Anyway, my husband was teaching a late night MBA class and I couldn't get a hold of him. I had to call my home teachers. Eventually, my husband got my message and came to the hospital. False Alarm! I had another false alarm two weeks after that at work, but my doctor told me to go home and quit work. So I did! At the time boy did I feel stupid, but come on you can never really be too careful. It is better that you had gone to the Dr. at that time then wait until the middle of the night when it might have been really impossible for you to get a hold of anyone. Hopefully, Tal will come home right away.

AshleyS said...

I'm glad Tally is on his way home! What a crazy day, I would have asked Wes to come home for sure! I'm praying that I'm a little bit dilated when I have my appt. tomorrow. How funny if we delivered on the same day?! Maybe 4th of July babies! haha. I wish we lived closer so we could be the friends you run to when you need help. Glad all is well. Miss and love you.

mary said...

Oh my gosh, what a crazy day. Enjoyed reading about it... hard and crazy and a little bit exciting too. Come on out, baby boy! I can't wait to meet him. I think he is going to be a blondie.

Tiffany said...

OH MY GOSH! I feel so bad for you and I almost started crying reading your post. And your Dad's comment... very sweet. He always was a really good one :) I'm so excited for you too... wait for Tally next time you go and have a day like this ok? :) I wish I was there to help you, but I'm glad you are so friendly and make life-long best friends so easily!

JD said...

Didier's home this week, so let me know if you need ANYTHING and I'll come right down.

Elisa said...

Jess, you are such a great woman. I am sorry Chad and I didn't give you a proper goodbye yesterday at Jenna's. I cannot believe the craziness you were going through yesterday! We love you and will miss you. Keep us posted on your new little guy. We are excited to hear news SOON!

Jenna said...

I am so grateful for the opportunity we have to help you - thanks for letting us. We love you and your little but growing family. I can't believe even more happened after I dropped you off - I am glad to hear you will slow down a little more this week. We can't wait for Mr. Aiden to arrive and us get to have Kels over and to meet him of course.

Chelsea F. said...

Oh those days- but I agree I think they are important to document. That way when others are having a hard day you can help them out because you have been there. Can't wait for pics of the little guy- do you have a name or is it classified ;)?

Balagna Bunch said...

Jess,I am so glad that everything worked out. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes wishing so bad I could do something for you. I am so grateful you have such great friends there to help you. You are in our prayers and we can't wait to see pic of baby boy Price soon! Love you!

Shontz Family said...

i was starting to get worried when i hadn't gotten an email reply from you in a few days! i hope i still get to see you saturday, but i'm sure you'd rather have your boy out! good luck. call if you need any help...we'd love to have kels around for a few days.