At least at this point. I knew this was the highly likely scenario for today considering the Swiss philosophy on finding out gender. They don't like to find out for the most part. So when my doctor was finished with the ultrasound, I asked if we could please look for the gender. He almost laughed, said it was way too early to tell, but gave it a go. The baby WAS in a bad position as these things go, but from what I could tell, the LACK of a male part makes me think its a girl. He said he can't be sure though. He asked me "what does it matter?" I told him I had a lot of preparing and planning to do. He said, "well did your mother know what she was having when she was pregnant with you?" Just to be smart, I told him I'm not sure, she's pretty young. But what I SHOULD have said is, "THAT'S WHY WE LOVE MODERN TECHNOLOGY, hello!?" I think I could have asked for an abortion and been less grilled than I was asking about the gender.
Here are a few pics from today's session, though none very good.
Here's the body
Here's the head, with the weight and measurements on the side.
Tal and Kelsey came with me to this appointment, it was was fun to tell Kelsey, "we're going to go see pictures of mommy's baby." When we asked her if she wanted to go, she said, "YES." She didn't take too much interest in the ultrasound pictures, but that's understandable. She's still so young. It was a great relief to be able to see the baby's heartbeat, and hear that all the organs and functions seem to be normal at this point. It just makes the urge to prepare so much stronger! But what can I do at this point?
11 comments:
shoot!!! i was so excited when i saw the title of your post. if it's any consolation, i think you're having a girl. we go in at 1 this afternoon so i'll email you shortly after. SO glad the baby is healthy! love you guys.
When he said, "what does it matter" you should have said, "then what does it matter if I pay you or not?"
Oh, LAME. I was so excited to find out...
Well, do they have fetal photo places anywhere over there?
Darn! I was looking forward to finding out today, although certainly not as much as you I'm sure :) Those silly Swiss doctors. Of course moms want to find out these days! I just talked to M. I can't believe she's due in 3 weeks! I'm so excited for her.
That's not fair!!!
I think it's gonna be another girl Jess!!! It's fun to have 2 girls to start with,then they can help take care of all the boys!!!!
Between language and cultural barriers, it is amazing that this is one thing that we see so differently on than the Swiss. With how few children these Swiss families, it is surprising that they are not more interested in finding out. Could it be because they don't have quite as cute or many options for cute girl/boy shopping or maybe because the Swiss just like to keep things like they always have had them??? I hope your doctor will attempt more at your next appointment, but my doctor sure never tried hard for me and seemed to ignore me on that question than anything!
UGH!!! That is SO frustrating. I love the comment..."what does it matter if I pay you or not?"
No fetal photos here - probably because of cultural reasons - a place like that just wouldn't thrive! My first doctor would do something like that for 100 CHF and I've thought about calling him and scheduling that. If I get desperate, I just might. But things didn't leave off to well with him, on account of him being "too busy" for me and telling me I was a burden on his office. You just don't say those things to a pregnant lady. Needless to say, that's why I have my "best bedside manner doctor I can find" now.
oh no! Lilah did that to us, but the doctor said since the cord was so close to the body it was probably a girl.
congrats!!! i am so happy for you guys!! sounds like you ash S. are on the same wave length!! by the way- the pics of Kelsey are amazing.. she has totally grown up! She is beautiful!!! EmilyJ.
Post a Comment