Monday, June 30, 2008

Euro 2008

The famous soccer tournament, Euro 2008 hosted by Switzerland & Austria was fun, but I'm sure glad it's over. I'm glad Spain won, even if the Southern half doesn't seem to care. Today I decided to drive up to Zurich to my German lesson thinking it wont be too crazy now that the tourney is over. Whoops. It was full of oversized trucks taking all the Fan Zone equipment, decorations and displays down. Tons of parking places were marked no parking from June 6th to June 30th. Why couldn't my lesson have been tomorrow? I was stuck in traffic and only made it to about 20 minutes of a 40 minute lesson. Nevertheless, the tourney was fun while it lasted.

There were people dressed up everywhere, horns honking after games and nightly fussbol game watching in our home. Romania had some of the craziest fans - they were covered from head to toe in their colors! Behind them was the Dutch. My friend Dianne sprayed her hair orange for one of the games. I really thought they'd be a contender but they were out in the quarter finals.







In the Zurich train station, there was a giant display of one soccer player from almost every Euro team in a huddle. It was cool to see. Italy was disgruntled they were not included! I wish I had gotten a picture of the Spanish guy since they won and all, but who saw that one coming?




We got Kelsey her own soccer ball (the final game ball) and she loves it! Maybe she'll grow up to be a soccer player like her daddy. Don't you dare try to take it from her!

6 comments:

berrymom said...

What a fun, crazy tournament. I love the giant guys in a huddle. That is awesome!

jessi said...

Thanks for posting the pictures of the giant soccer players. I thought that display was really neat, but never got any pictures of them. Cute picture of Kelsey guarding that new little soccer ball with her life!

likeschocolate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
likeschocolate said...

Traitor!!!!

:)

We are said Germany lost.

Mike said...

Viva Espana!!!!! OK, so when we won the people went crazy, in fact pretty much the entire country just took the week off of work. I guess we just didn't feel it as much because most of our interaction is with Americans or American influenced Spaniards

Shari said...

Sorry I totally had a brain fart on your birthday but happy late birthday-I love you soooooo much!! Hugs and kisses to the fam!!!