
Letzigrund Stadium
photo courtesy of myswitzerland.com
On Friday night, my boss invited me to the Weltklasse Zurich track and field event at Letzigrund Stadium (and my angelic wife was kind enough to let me go). It was amazing to see Ussain Bolt run in person (he's like a man among boys - but those 'boys' are world class sprinters) and I also witnessed a new world record in pole vault broken by Russia's Yelena Isinbayeva.

Fast as a lightning BOLT
photo courtesy of swissinfo.ch

The thrill of knowing you're number ONE
photos courtesy of swissinfo.ch & google images
I had never been to a professional track and field event before and I was shocked by how much the athletes interacted with and fed off of the crowd. The US athletes represented well and I got to be a bit obnoxious every time they won an event, but Ussain stole the show in the final leg of the 4x100 meter relay when he caught the Americans from behind and just turned his head and laughed as he flew past him just before the finish line. On a side note, the Swiss relay team placed 6th in that race while setting a new Swiss record, I've never seen a group of athletes and fans so excited for a 6th place visit - but when your a small country, I guess that's a great feat.

The Swiss relay team
photo courtesy of swissinfo.ch
The Swiss regard this as the best track and field event in the world, and although I'm not sure I would go that far, the atmosphere was electric. For more info on the event, click here.
1 comment:
OKay totally jealous, that would be so neat to see! Ussain Bolt is amazing! Jess, thanks for the note about the playlist- what a bummer, I used to always turn it on while I cleaned up the house ;).
Post a Comment