
FiRenZe
On Saturday, we left at 4am and headed down to Florence. I stayed up the whole night (as mothers do before a big trip) and slept in the car on the way down. Around noon, we pulled into the historical art city of Florence. We parked at the Piazzale Michelangelo which was the perfect place to enter the city. Not only was it free to park there for the day, but it gave us a panoramic viewpoint of the city. It was sunny day and we got a great taste of Summer.


Classic trademarks of Florence: awe-inspiring art, heavenly gelato, "romantic" Italians, and SWARMS of tourists.This is the oldest bridge in Florence, the only one that didn't get bombed out in WWII. Today it is a charming but crowded bridge with great views lined with jewelry and tourist shops but the area used to be a meat district. However, back in the day the Arno river started smelling so bad lawmakers banned butchers from throwing their scraps into the river and cleaned up the place. It is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Florence.
THE DAVID
No, I'm not talking about the American Idol Davids (can you believe COOK won?). I'm talking about THE David, as in David & Goliath - the Michelangelo version. As everyone says, the Accademia isn't much but the David makes it worth it. I agree. It's one of those things that really takes your breath away. You see other works from artists you're not familiar with and you're anticipating seeing the David. You turn a corner and at the end of the hall, he stands perfectly displayed. It took everything in me not to snap a picture. I even got my camera out to sneak one in, but the guard must have a good read on people like me. He came up and started talking to me. I thought the detail in his hands and arm were so realistic and the proportions were remarkable. I'll stop there but it really is a sight to behold. Here's a picture of a replica in the square outside the Uffizi (where the real one once stood).
Uffizi
Here we are outside of it. Once again, no cameras (which I can't stand) so I don't have much to show from it. I loved Botticelli's The Birth of Venus & La Primivera (The Spring) as well as DaVinci's The Annunciation & The Adoration of the Magi. Here we are waiting to go in.

Duomo
This is the famous Firenze Duomo that gives Florence its trademark skyline. The facade is detailed with green, white and pink marble designs. The inside is similar to other churches but the dome, created by Filippo Brunelleschi, that was impressive. The artwork on the inside of the dome depicted heaven and hell with several kings at the highest point. Kelsey really enjoyed standing against the plastic barriers near the top of the cupola looking down into the church making noises that echoed through the church.



We hiked up the Duomo with Kelsey and everyone kept commenting "I can hardly do it myself let alone with a baby." Some places were a little steep but she's still small enough that we can manage it between the two of us. Tally always took her when the stairs were really narrow and short (see above). When we came out, this Italian guy came up to Kelsey and gave her a balloon. It was all dirty and gross but she loved it so much that we could not pry it from her fingers until she fell asleep.

Vinci

Duomo
This is the famous Firenze Duomo that gives Florence its trademark skyline. The facade is detailed with green, white and pink marble designs. The inside is similar to other churches but the dome, created by Filippo Brunelleschi, that was impressive. The artwork on the inside of the dome depicted heaven and hell with several kings at the highest point. Kelsey really enjoyed standing against the plastic barriers near the top of the cupola looking down into the church making noises that echoed through the church.

View from the top

Walking on the beautiful marble church floors and making noises

We hiked up the Duomo with Kelsey and everyone kept commenting "I can hardly do it myself let alone with a baby." Some places were a little steep but she's still small enough that we can manage it between the two of us. Tally always took her when the stairs were really narrow and short (see above). When we came out, this Italian guy came up to Kelsey and gave her a balloon. It was all dirty and gross but she loved it so much that we could not pry it from her fingers until she fell asleep.
Vinci
Since we were close, we decided to visit the home and museum of one of the masters: Leonardo Da Vinci. It is amazing to me how one man did so many masterpieces in various disciplines during his life. Not only was he an artist, but also an engineer with his mechanical designs. The museum contained models of his mechanical drawings.




The Leaning Tower of Pisa






Lucca




The Leaning Tower of Pisa
Little did we know it was the 2008 Pisa Marathon on the day we went and the finish line was of course, right by the tower! First of all, I think it would be amazing to run that and have a picture crossing the finish line with the tower in the background. However, it made it even more crowded than it usually would be. I thought it was really cool seeing one of the 7 wonders of the world (although I think it may have been voted off recently?). It's truly amazing that it hasn't fallen over yet. Since it was Mother's Day, I got to do a photoshoot of the baby and of our family. This proved to be much more difficult than I was expecting since there were people walking in my picture all the time. We got a few good ones but I will photoshop the people out when I go to print them. We decided we should start charging people to take pictures of or with our daughter. These were not the first or last of the Asian tourists to take a picture with her - just the most colorful. I played around a bit with the post-production of these Pisa shots too.






Lucca
This is a small, walled city with a circular courtyard in it. We stopped on our way out to Cinque Terre. The first two pictures are of the circular courtyard. The Guinigi tower with the tree on top is where I climbed up to take the 2nd picture. And of course, we had great gelato. We should have rented bikes and rode them around, but we didn't want to be there for too long.
Cinque Terre
It's great to site see and all, but it can be so exhausting. There's nothing like a vacation on the beach. It was great to end our trip walking along the coastline on the "Via Di Amores or Lover's Walk" between Rio Maggiore & Manarola. We skipped Corniglia and went to Vernazza. I think I liked Vernazza the best for pictures. It is exactly what I picture a beach front, Italian town to be like. We ate some pizza by the beach, did a little shopping, and then headed back to Monterosso. When the clouds started rolling in, we decided to call it a day and head home. It was sad to leave so soon, but Tally and I decided we wanted to go back for a weekend this summer - without the babe. Kelsey seems to enjoy the sand and water...maybe she'll be a beach babe like her mama. We had a great trip and hope to be back to Italy again soon.
Here's the hotel we stayed in near CT. It was a nice little B&B up on top of a hill overlooking the Italian hills.




Keeping Kelsey entertained in the car. She has the cutest laugh!
It's great to site see and all, but it can be so exhausting. There's nothing like a vacation on the beach. It was great to end our trip walking along the coastline on the "Via Di Amores or Lover's Walk" between Rio Maggiore & Manarola. We skipped Corniglia and went to Vernazza. I think I liked Vernazza the best for pictures. It is exactly what I picture a beach front, Italian town to be like. We ate some pizza by the beach, did a little shopping, and then headed back to Monterosso. When the clouds started rolling in, we decided to call it a day and head home. It was sad to leave so soon, but Tally and I decided we wanted to go back for a weekend this summer - without the babe. Kelsey seems to enjoy the sand and water...maybe she'll be a beach babe like her mama. We had a great trip and hope to be back to Italy again soon.
Here's the hotel we stayed in near CT. It was a nice little B&B up on top of a hill overlooking the Italian hills.




Keeping Kelsey entertained in the car. She has the cutest laugh!







10 comments:
Jess--you look beautiful! and Kelsey couldn't be any cuter! I want to visit you guys SO bad!
That is SO cool that you can country hop and see such amazing things. What a great experience.
I'm not gonna lie... my favorite pictures is the kissing picture. I'm a sap.
Wow. I LOVE that you went to Italy. I am sure David was amazing. And Kelsey's hair is sure getting blonde! (No surprise there.)
Jess, I think the Italian guy with costume has a crush on you. The photos are fantastic! Lucky Duck! Oh, and is Kelsey laughing is adorable
This is so cool, Jessie. The little video of Kelsey is so fun to watch. You guys look great!
Wow what an incredible trip!!! I am so jealous. I love Italy. I think it's my favorite country. You of course took some beautiful pics! I can't believe how big Kelsey is getting. She's such a beauty. We miss you guys. Let's talk soon. Love you!
You are SUCH a great photographer! Looks like an incredible trip.
Wow,
I'm jealous! I would have loved to have been there with you guys. We'll have to hook it up again sometime this summer
Jess, Tally and Kelsey, what a precious family you are! Kelsey's laugh is so infectious..I miss that sweetie and the Italian pics are wonderful, especially your photographic talents with Kelsey and the leaning tower. I have to agree with Anna, Italy holds a special place in my heart...it is the very best. I check in every once in a while on your blog via Anna's..really enjoy your adventures and Kelsey's new tricks! luvs to all, ej
Post a Comment