Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Windows


I need to vent for a moment and haven't been able to since I've been working on that gargantuan Italy post. Our landlord had new windows put in our apartment this week and notified us with a letter in German. Okay, no big deal, right? WRONG. At 7am, two mornings in a row, these guys came ringing. Considering our night owl daughter and my late night photo musings, this was way too early. The first day, they took out 3 of the windows in our house and the one right outside our hall door. It was a cool day and it made the entire house FREEZING. I had a sweatshirt and fuzzy socks on and I put slippers and a jacket on Kelsey. When nap time came, I couldn't put her in her crib because it was covered with paper and she had NO WINDOWS in her room. So, I laid down with her in my bed and ended up falling asleep...that is until my friend Dianne came over for lunch at 11. I hadn't meant to fall asleep and it was nice to have her over to distract me from the CAOS that was my house. Kelsey was still asleep until 11:30 when the window guys came in and told me they needed to start working in my bedroom. I told them my baby was asleep (and pointed out that they hadn't replaced any of the windows they took away in the rest of the house yet). I gave up the fight, woke Kelsey up and let them in. For the record, they didn't end up doing anything in that room that day. I walked into town with my friend to escape the CAOS and took the bus to pick up my car that was in the shop. The next day, they came at 7am. We let them in and went right back to sleep. I knew they wanted to do the windows in my room, but stayed asleep when they WALKED IN on me sleeping. We finally escaped to Jessi's at 8:30am and stayed there until 4pm (thanks Jess). I came home to a mess of dust and concrete particles all over my floor and any horizontal surface, a sawdust smell, and dirty everything. Oh, and they broke off or took off all our our window treatments. Anyone in the mood for spring cleaning? I'm not!


Thanks for letting me vent. If your landlord ever wants to replace the windows or you do on your own home, GO ON VACATION while it's done and hire a housekeeper to clean before you come home.

It's Saturday night and I've just now finished cleaning all but my room. Phew!

UPDATE: My husband just informed me that I spelled CHAOS, CAOS in this post. There is a valid reason for this (and any of you are welcome to tell me my spelling errors - I WANT to know b/c I will be printing out my blog someday and I don't want my kids to make fun of me). When I used to work for GS, I worked with a system called CAOS - Client Account Opening System. I guess it became my version of chaos, thus craziness in my mind is CAOS. Get all that?

4 comments:

likeschocolate said...

Sorry it was a stressful week for you. Even though Germans are suppose to be known for being hard workers, I think they could use some lessons in customer service. When we had are windows replaced in our house in Georgia they were all done within a day. Hope this week proves to be better!

Crashpixie said...

Looks like fun there with no windows! And did Tally tell you we can't call it CAOS any longer? Isn't that super sad? I mean AO is no fun to apply to anything, it's no fun to say at all.

By the way, love those pics of Tuscany....I'm now dying to go!

Balagna Bunch said...

What a mess guys. I am surprised Tally caught the spelling error. Prices aren't know for their spelling! ;)

fünf said...

Something similar happened when Sam was a baby. they painted the outside of our apartments and it was horrible. They were painting the front door, so I had to leave it open while it dried and I was in taking a bath (with door locked of course) and hear footsteps coming through my living room! One of the workers came into my house and knocked on the bathroom door! He had to ask me a question. I yelled for him to get out of my house. Ugh. The thought makes me angry.