Friday, March 21, 2008

Ice Cream on a Cold Day





For Easter weekend, we went up to Mike & Anna's near Frankfurt, Germany. They live in a cute, old farming town where the buildings and houses have so much character. The night we pulled in, it was rainy so it wasn't until Friday night (after an American day on base at Taco Bell & Baskin Robbins/31 Flavors) that we took a walk through the neighborhood. There's a dairy farm on their street and a stand with homemade ice cream. We walked around and saw dairy cows, a few calves, bunnies, and cats that seemed to follow us. I left the house without my camera and am SO glad Anna had hers. The lighting was gorgeous as the sun was setting, lighting up this barn and reflecting off the puddles.




The ice cream stand was closed and we were looking for when they would be open so we could come back (since we had already had ice cream that day) when the owner came out. I tried my German out on her: "Wann ist die glaces geoffnet? She looked at me confused and then proceeded to speak in English. It was only later that I remembered that "glaces" is a Swiss German term for ice cream and it's just "Eis" in German. So much for trying. She opened it especially for us and we could not resist. Plus, at 80 Euro Cents a piece, it was a steal. We each got a different kind so we could try eachothers and I must say, Tally got the best one - German Chocolate. All of it was very tasty though and definitely not fat free. Jay enjoyed it too, but not as much as chasing around cats. He was sad to leave. That night, we ate at a Mexican food restaurant and ordered fried ice cream. Yep. Three times in one day. Does it get any better than that?



Happy Easter little bunny

Our little bunny rabbit...it's actually cat ears on the hood of the coat but it's Easter.

Notice the cat? I think he's playing it cool before he goes in for the chase! What a fun treasure they have right around the corner!

4 comments:

Elisa said...

Yum, that icecream looks so good! one of my favorite things about our travels to europe(Italy really) was the gelato!

Unknown said...

mmmm... Wish you were here to come get some more with me!

Chelsea F. said...

That does look like good ice cream! We've been having the opposite weather here- it was in the 90's on Easter.

Shari said...

I love that baby!! She is so cute!!!! And I love you both too!!