Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Bit of Home

This story may not mean anything to some of you, but it will to a few. I am very excited to be going home NEXT WEEK for Christmas, but I was also feeling a bit sad that I missed Thanksgiving with my family. I didn't realize this, until the other day.

I was in Starbucks having a hot chocolate while Kelsey slept in her stroller. I had a small break before my German lessons started. I sat down, and looked up when I heard two women speaking English. These were two strangers, yet they looked so similar to my high-school friends Tammy & Morgan's moms who probably to this day, still sit in our local coffee shop and chat. There was a shorter, round woman with white chin-length hair and glasses talking to a tall, brown, chin-length haired woman with glasses. Even their mannerisms reminded me of Sue and Carol.

I could not wipe the grin off my face as I sat there thinking about the coincidence and how rare it was that I would stop in this Starbucks of all places, and how people are different and yet the same all over the world. I got a very warm feeling inside and as I closed my eyes, I felt like I was at home. I could smell it, feel it, taste it, hear it and almost SEE it. So after I finished my hot chocolate, I went over to these wonderful American women and told them how they brightened my day. As the words fell out of my mouth, so did a few tears. I told them how they made me feel home and described a bit about why. They were warm and friendly and had I not had German lessons to get to, I'm sure I would have sat down, chatted, and ended up giving them huge hugs afterwards.

It was small, but it was for me. A tender mercy. A bit of home.


8 comments:

likeschocolate said...

I am glad that you got to have a bit of home even if it was just for a few minutes. Just think you will be home soon. Have a fantastic visit with your family!!! Merry Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww Jess!! What a sweet story...it brought tears to my eyes too. It makes me realize that no matter how much things change, some things still stay the same. I will share that with my mom (and yes they do still have coffee together). I am very excited that you are going to come home for Christmas! When are you going to be in OP? I am going to make sure I see this this time!
-Tammy

J-Dub said...

It's funny how little things can be so touching to us in time when we need them. I have thought about starting a "tender mercies" journal or note pad just to keep track of small things like that.

Thanks for sharing

Chelsea F. said...

Awww, we miss you too! Definately need to plan a ladies night out when you're in town!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Funny thing, I saw them at Beanscene about 2 months ago when I was getting a kids blast and a triple B bagel sandwich. You are never too far from home because you are in our hearts and in our prayers. See you in California in 3 days.

Racie said...

You're little girl is soo cute! It was great to see you guys the other day!

Unknown said...

Jess, I hope you guys are enjoying time home - FINALLY! I'm sure your family is loving having you there. We miss you guys so much and wish we could spend some time together. Cross your fingers for UCLA or Harvard!

Mary said...

Jessica!!! It is Mary Grampp (Eddie's wife)!!! How are you?!?! We just got back from Utah, were you there as well?! We live in Texas now, but Eddie is actually looking for another job, so we'll see where we end up next! We got your cute Christmas card! Your little girl is absolutely beautiful! You all seem like you are doing great there in Switzerland, what an amazing experience. I would love to live abroad with Eddie and our little Eddie (did you know we had a baby October 28th)?! Anyway, for sure keep in touch and I am adding you to our blog! Our blog is: thegramppfam.blogspot.com Take care girl! :)