I guess I was a little anxious to be going home for Christmas or something because for some reason, I scheduled Thanksgiving dinner with our neighbors and the missionaries ONE WEEK EARLY. Of course our neighbors are from Germany and the missionaries are just happy to get a meal so no one alerted me to this mistake. By the time I realized it, I had already bought the food, put it on the calendar, and made the dinner appointment. We went around the table and said what we were grateful for. This year (and every year), I am grateful for my Grandma Lang. While preparing this meal for only SIX (and a baby), I realized I have no idea how my grandma made food for over 20 of us, on time, and hot - and delicious. I have a lot of questions for you Grandma! I even kept it pretty simple with two turkey breasts, mashed potatoes (no gravy, couldn't find a kind that looked remotely like gravy at the store), pumpkin pie, frozen peas, and store bought rolls. We had a good time eating and talking as we always do with Mel & Tor. Kelsey loves Torsten and I almost think he's ready to try babysitting ;)

Here's our front entry
Simple, but we're not supposed to keep anything out there

And Kelsey's first hand-made Thanksgiving decoration
4 comments:
OH Jess, crap. I leave for Arizona the 14th of December and we're not coming for Christmas. That's a total bummer. Now I'm way sad!
Love the turkey hand print. Gravy is way easy to make. Once you have roasted the breast you take them out of them pan cover them up and on stove top you add a little flour to drippings and wisk in some broth. You can make broth from the cubes you find at Migros by just adding hot water and disolving. You can even add apple juice but this isn't that great on mashed potatoes. Have fun back home for Christmas. We leave for Isreal on the 26th of Dec. I am so excited.
Jessica, Thanks for the compliment. It is a pleasure to have served my family all these years. This year there will be 27 of us for thanksgiving at your parents. I will be cooking 2 turkeys and every one is bringing stuff. We can't wait to see you. Christmas Eve will be small. Just your family and grandpa and I but Christmas Day we will probably have 25 or more. See ya soon. Grandma
That is great fun that your grandma commented on your blog. That is so funny that you celebrated early. . . because we did too! We are excited for you guys to see your family for Christmas.
Post a Comment