Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grateful

I can't help but feel grateful tonight. Kelsey is still here, all in one piece, sleeping away. Today she fell down a flight of concrete/tile stairs and I found her screaming on the landing. I didn't see what happened. A mother's mantra: I let her out of my sight and I didn't even know it. When I heard her scream, I new exactly what had happened. I've been fearing those stairs ever since she started walking. I was slightly relieved to see her standing and screaming and not lying there broken, dazed or twitching. Every cell of my body still lurched and I almost broke down in tears myself. So today I have learned a valuable lesson without having to pay a high price. For this I am grateful. And for a loving Heavenly Father who looks after our little ones, no matter which side of the veil they are on.


These are not the stairs she fell on, just some she attempted a few weeks ago.
Maybe I'm overreacting, maybe not, but this is my first toddler -okay!

11 comments:

Sissy said...

You're not over reacting. There will be other times that you wish you were at het side but you weren't. I am so thankful that I was able to be home with all my children as they all were growing up. I too am blessed. It breaks yout heart because they are so sweet and innocent and you thinlk yuou are there to save them from EVERY fall. All because we love them sooo much. How hard must it be for our Father in Heaven to watch us. You are a sweet young mommy who would do ANYTHING for her child...as it should be. Cherish this learning moment in your lives. You ARE a great mom!

likeschocolate said...

I have been there I think more than once. No, your not over reacting. It hurts to see your children hurt whether it be stairs, stiches, or broken arms. You just want to protect them from everything, but it is impossible. All you can do is your best. Amen to Heavenly Father watching over them, or I think they wouldn't make it to adulthood.

CJ said...

OH man, those falls are so scary. My George fell off the bed when she was only 5 months old. I was in tears all day and kept thinking she'd rattled her brain and would have brain damage or something, all because I left her on the bed and turned my back for 2 seconds! I even made Adam come home from work -- I was prepared to take her to the emergency room at the FIRST sign of abnormal behavior!!

I am so glad that Kelsey is okay. I'm sure she'll keep her distance from those stairs for awhile now. :)

mary said...

I don't think it gets any better... yikes!

P.S. I've caught up on all your recent travels, and I would like to know -- what are you guys going to do when you return to the States and have to live a normal life again? I am so amazed at all the awesome, picturesque places you've been able to visit. When you've seen them all, please send me a list -- maybe a top ten or something -- so I can tell Dave where we're going when we ever get out of school!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Jess, I totally understand the feeling! I'm so sorry you had to go through that but I'm so glad she's okay. How scary. There's no feeling worse than thinking your child is hurt.

Chelsea F. said...

Falls can be scarey! Chloe fell down our stairs for the first time a couple of weeks ago (she had her shoes on the wrong feet). I felt sooo bad and kept blaming myself for not fixing her shoes. Oh well guess it's all part of motherhood =).

lyn said...

i know exactly what you are feeling...all too well! you are a wonderful mom, this is just of "those things" that happens with children. we are all very lucky to be as loved as we are by our Father in Heaven. he loves us and is wathing over us adults as well as his little ones!

Jodi said...

Oh no... You are not overreacting at all! In fact, I was surprised when I read that you "almost" cried... Brody rolled right off his changing table the other day and plopped right onto the ground. He was fine. A little shook up, but fine. It was me that needed the consolling! Brant had to calm me down for at least 10 minutes afterwards! I felt so terrible. I had just stepped away for two seconds... Hard lesson learned.. I couldn't agree with you more about how blessed we are to have a loving Heavenly Father who looks out for us as mothers and our little buddies. Don't ever feel alone and don't ever feel like you are overreacting... You are such a wonderful mom, Jess... I can tell just by seeing all the amazing things you do with Kelsey.. It's these times that we realize how amazing our responsibility really is.

The House that James Built said...

hi guys...were finally bloggers! saw you guys on holly & jasons blog list. you guys look like you are having a GREAT time in europe...wish we were there!! it'll be nice keeping in touch-even if it is through a blog! xoxo liz

fünf said...

You are TOTALLY overreacting.

Just kidding, Jes. It doesn't stop-- once they are your baby they are always your baby. A kid said something mean to Sam the other day and I totally called his mom. You are talking to the queen of overreact-- and you know what- we are entitled to it. I don't care what anyone says.

I am so glad Kels is ok.

Love ya!

Shari said...

We have all had those moments. It is amazing our kids grow up in one piece-in spite of their parents!! Just wait til she is an adult and tells you all the crazy things she has done!! I am so glad she is okay and give her kisses from Aunt Shari-I love her!!!!