Tuesday, February 12, 2008

In What Kind of World?


I'll admit it. I didn't watch the Grammy's and I don't keep up on my music or pop culture like I used to. However, it's hard to miss some of the chatter even in Switzerland. While listening to the radio I heard about the five awards Amy Winehouse picked up - one of them Song of the Year for catchy "Rehab" song. WHAT!? Heath Ledger dies an untimely death of an "accidental overdose" and Hollywood is stunned but then the music biz folks turn around and reward a drug addict for her song about refusing help for her addiction? In what kind of world do we live in? No wonder kids are so confused these days.

The very star that gave her the award, disagreed with the music industry's choice. “I think she has a great talent but I don’t agree with the Grammys giving her those nods,” Natalie Cole said at the Sony BMG post-Grammy Awards party. “I think it sends the wrong message, that even in the midst of her stupor of drugs she can get nominated for all these awards."

Now I am about to become a hypocrite to some of you. I laughed as that song was played in an advertisement for the TV show House that shows clips of him popping Vicodin pills. But I must remind you. This is a fictional show and while I agree it's not the most wholesome sitcom on television, it doesn't reward drug abuse. It's a small, underlying part of the storyline and the other characters are always trying to get him to stop. Prescription & illegal drug abuse is a real, growing problem in the world and it really isn't funny.

In any case, I am a free speech advocate and think that musicians, artists, etc. should have the freedom of expression in as much as it does not infringe upon the rights of others. But it is up to us to decide how we will let others influence our home, neighborhoods, and ultimately our society. It was a sad day for our society when the Song of the Year for 2008 became "Rehab." Can't wait to see what next year brings. Something about sex? Last year's was about not apologizing with the Dixie Chick's "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice." So to musicians out there, write about something that teaches kids the opposite of what they should do, put a catchy tune to it and you're sure to get nominated for next year's Grammy's.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy knowing people like you. Thanks for being an intelligent, stand-up-for-what-is-important-to-you kind of girl.

CJ said...

Amen. Everyday I see or hear something on the news or radio that makes me cringe to think of the world my kids will grow up in. It's so scary and it seems like everything evil is totally glorified and shoved down kids' throats... I am just grateful my kids will have the light of the gospel to help them!

Anonymous said...

I think she stashes all her drugs in her hair. I wonder how many rodents have also set up house in that thing. DISGUSTING! Of course, this is coming from the girl who shaved her head, for a year and a half.

AshleyS said...

i couldn't agree more. well said.

Tiffany said...

K I totally agree! I have been talking about this since Sunday. Great post!