***DISCLAIMER***
If you are of the male gender, this post will seem boring, unfamiliar, and maybe even gross. So, save you and me the embarrassment and just skip this one.
We are in the progressed stages of weaning now, not necessarily by choice. But that is okay, I wanted to wean her at some point but the way it happened was this: TEETH. Kelsey has always been a good nurser and has never bitten me. No, no, instead she CHEWS. Or at least that's what it feels like. It's become progressively worse as her bottom teeth have gotten taller. At one point, on the plane ride home from Florida, the bigger jug became cracked and started bleeding. It was so painful to nurse that I rented a pump for several days and gave the milk to Kelsey in a sippy cup (she wont take a bottle now). I thought I was past all this after month 2 - now we're almost to month 11!!
So like I said, we're weaning. I only feed her once in the morning and once at night. Although still painful, it's manageable for now. My dilemma, however, is do I put her on full milk or formula now that she's only getting a little milk from me? I don't want to get her used to formula and then a month later switch to cow's milk! I know the rule is one year for milk, but I've been giving her yogurt and even a bit of milk along the way and she's done just fine. Any advice?
There is a silver lining though. I'm currently wearing a pre-nursing, pre-pregnancy bra! Oh to have underwire again! Also, I've evened out if you know what I mean, which I was REALLY worried about. Before you know it, I'll be able to leave my baby overnight (with a trusted friend or husband of course)! Girls trip anyone?
I've already noticed Kelsey needing to snuggle or be held more often, like she still needs the closeness of breast feeding. I will miss that time together but this is one of those things that must come to an end sometime.
9 comments:
she's 11 months, just give her milk :) That's what I did for Sadie only because she was on Costco formula and I didn't want to go buy a whole other case of it for a few weeks time. Anyways, she did fine and I think it's fine. I'm no doctor though...
It is ok to give her milk. I did for all my children by 11 months. If she has any problems like hives or deahrea ? sp then I would either try formula or soy milk. Sorry it hurts! I have been there. Good luck!
Jacob started getting pretty skinny around 11-12 months because I was weaning, but not supplementing (he never had formula) and I assumed I needed to wait for the go-ahead on cow's milk and dairy. I got to his 12-month appointment and the doctor said, "So have you given him milk yet?" I was like, "I didn't think I was allowed to until I got the okay from you." So bottom line...you might as well give her the milk! If there is a problem, the doctor can help you through it. Good luck!
Weaning is such a bitter sweet thing. You look forward to it the entire first year... "if only to be free!" ... and then, you really miss those special, calming times together. I remember being so happy when Georgia was finally fully weaned at 14 months, and then about a week later bawling my eyes out and wanting to go back. :) Good luck!
And I'm with everyone else on the milk. She is practically a year anyway! If she hasn't shown any allergies to other dairy products, I'd just get her on some whole milk.
Jess, Colton's doctor said to start weening at 9 to 11 months straight to milk. Both of my boys are health and didn't have any problems with it so I think it is a good idea to go straight to milk. Hope the transition goes well.
I switched Elisabeth to cow milk when she was 11 months, and no problems. She also drank from a sippy cup, mostly because I didn't want to have to worry about weaning her from a bottle. Char nursed until he was one so that wasn't an issue for us and I plan on nursing Miss Annabelle for even longer hopefully, maybe a year and a half if we can last. I was anxious to quit nursing w/baby number 1 but as we've had more kids I find myself not wanting to let that go yet, I want them to stay my little babies forever :)
Jess, so relieved to see you aren't going to be one of those wackos who nurses till their kid is three and is undoing the shirt buttons themselves. Not that I saw you being that type, but who knows, motherhood seems to do really crazy stuff to people. Mikaela
she'll still be cuddly after you aren't nursing anymore. if she's been fine with yogurt and cheese, then just go straight to milk. i was so worried about giving hailey milk even 1 day before her 1 year birthday and looking back that was so silly, like did she just develop a tolerance for milk that one day?! haha, my mom made fun ofme so bad. anyway, that's awesome if she's doing a sippy cup of milk--easy transition for you! and i REALLY think you, me, and drea need to do a girls trip! even though dre is about to give birth, we can at least start planning it :-)
I am for giving her milk. If she reacts bad to it, then switch. Looks like you have been having a blast in Miami!
Post a Comment