Dearest Jess,
I am over 50 and could wear the skirt that I wore before I was pregnant... but only on one leg. I know it's not comforting, but your body will return to the size/shape and beauty that it is supposed to.
I have a scar on my left breast from having a lump removed many years ago. It's quite ugly and I was in a large hot tub at a resort in Arizona. All the women were buck naked in this hot tub; probably 15 women, so I dropped my robe and got in with them. Our breasts kind of floated and bounced in the weirdest ways and we all started to tell stories.
One woman was absent a breast from cancer and she showed us how the scar ran under her arm and around her back. Radical mastectomy with extended skin removal on her back. I said, "I'm so sorry" and she replied that it was her badge of courage. She would not be shamed by it and was determined to use it as a reminder of life.
I have three scars that go hip bone to hip bone and one vertical from my navel to my abdominal scars. Eight surgeries were the preparation to have children for me. And, sadly, a huge dimply butt and thunder thighs resulted from early menopause, depression/chocolate, too much to fill everyday and too much to worry about at night.
The too tight skirt is a reminder that you are healthy, young and have served as a handmaiden to the Lord to bring a gorgeous beautiful girl into the world. The world will never be the same for having Hannah now. Your body is still partly hers -- in due time all will be well with you. The beauty that you posses is in your eyes and comes from the testimony and love that you share; over and over and over.
You know all this - I just want to remind you.
Now - go on to your day and know that you are loved and beautiful and brilliant...just like the stars.
Oh and p.s. You do so much for me just being my friend. I don't feel judged and that is huge to me.
Thanks.
Love you,
I am so blessed by having served and being associated with such amazing women who help remind me I am more than just a mere mortal. I am an immortal being in a mortal state with a mission that this world does not comprehend. Thank you, my dear friend, for reminding me of this and making me laugh and cry within sentences of each other.
5 comments:
What a dear, dear friend. I LOVE the letter she sent you. She is magnificent. I think she needs a blog! : )
beautifully put, and I love that you shared it. I agree that you are an amazing friend and always make me feel loved and important regardless how trivial the conversation. You are a beautiful person, inside and out. Don't lose sight of that. Also, I have a few books I love that address this topic to a degree, let me know if you want the titles. We aren't here to look perfect (which is a completely biased social standard that makes absolutely no sense and has no founding anyway. . .) but to become perfect.
We need more reminders like this! The thing is I loved that my grandmother was soft around the edges and yet she was still glamorous to me. It is hard though to not let your thoughts go to those places.
Oh, I love this! Thanks for sharing. Good friends are angels.
Jess, I love this. Very sweet, thanks for sharing. Hannah is a doll, can't wait to meet her in person! Love ya!
Post a Comment