Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Goodbye to Great Grandma Miller
My great-grandma Miller died at 11pm last night. She was 93. She lived a long, full life so for me, there is no sadness - just relief (for her and Gma Lang). Her husband died last year and she's been living in a care center. She's been close to death a couple times since then, but always rallied. When we went to see her, my Grandma Lang said she wasn't doing well and this might be the last time we see her. We went to see her on January 4th and she died yesterday, January 17th. I'm so glad our family got to say goodbye, even if she couldn't hear us. She was so sweet. She couldn't take her eyes off the kids. She's always loved babies and even held Aiden for a few seconds (then he was off!).
One of my favorite memories with Grandma Miller was going to her clubhouse for Christmas Eve. All the cousins were there, we ate, danced, and had a blast. I remember thinking her community club house seemed like a taste of paradise. I've since gone back and thought the mobile home community was pretty cheesy - oh the bliss of innocence! Charles & GGma used to get us McDonald's gift cards for Christmas when we were little and we thought that was the coolest. I think they used to get the adults lotto cards if I remember right! I also loved that she loved stuffed animals so much. It was especially great when my kids went to her house because they had toys to play with! She had such a loving heart.
One of the things I love the most about Wanda Miller is the wonderful daughters she raised, in particular, my Grandma Lang. I grew up 5 minutes away from my Grandma Lang and she has been there for me at all the big and little stages of my life. She is one of the few who ALWAYS sends me a birthday card on my birthday - it often arrives on the actual day. I could write a whole book about my Grandma Lang and all the traits I admire and strive for that she possesses but I'll leave that for another day.
My Grandma Lang found a Book of Mormon that my cousin and I had given to Grandma Miller when we were younger. I'd always hoped she'd get baptized, but she never did. I'm grateful for the knowledge that she lives after this life, and that she can still choose on the other side. I'm so grateful that this life is not the beginning or the end and that we, as beings, can continue to develop our characters to become more perfect, more like our Savior. I'm grateful for examples in my life that have made me who I am today and will continue to influence who I am tomorrow. I'm grateful to have another angel watching over my kids from heaven.
We love you Great-Grandma!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Beautiful Jess! We are so lucky that she helped bring you to us :)
Still sad! Love you.
Sorry to hear your great grandma passed away last night. I bet she was surrounded by those who went before her on the other side. I guess you have your work cut out for you come next year this time. Don't forget to do her work. Hugs from Georgia. Hey, this might not be the time, but I am concocting a plan. Do you have a guest bedroom? I am heading to Seattle in the fall and was thinking maybe I could stop overnight in SLC. Would love to get you to take some pictures of my little one. Of course I would pay. Otherwise, I just might have to find a way to get you out here to Georgia. I want my baby to have pictures by you. Let me know what you think?
Oh, that was sweet Jess. It was fun to remember those little details about her, I have all of the same memories! love you!
what a sweet tribute to her. i am sure the reunion was sweet on the other side :)
Thank you Jess for the sweet tribute to Great Grandma and to me and the sweet memories Love ya Grandma Lang
Post a Comment