Monday, April 26, 2010

Simplicity among the chaos

Today I took the kids for a walk to the grocery store. 
We moved into a house not to far from lots of FOOD. It's all fast, none that great. But I'm digressing. Walking home from the store with the kids both asleep in their stroller I thought of Switzerland and my friend Jessi who just moved BACK to Zurich. I thought about a conversation we had about "if we moved back to SLC where would we live that is somewhat like Switzerland." We came to the conclusion that there was no place like CH. No little village with all the stores in one central place.  Not as many pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and right-of-ways - or pedestrians for that matter. No grüezi as you pass another on your way. But something about this little walk made me feel like I could have a taste of my simple Swiss life here. I may be a fish out of water but I'm starting to like it. Our new place could start to feel like home soon. We could start to feel normal and settled. But I have to get furniture for our empty rooms and pictures on the walls first. We're excited about our new place and can't wait to show our little treasure. Pictures will follow... once I start taking them again. You'll be amazed at how much Aiden has grown/developed since we left Switzerland and how much Kelsey is taking, imagining, and making sense! I'll keep posting, but I need to get internet. 
XOXO from SLC. 

5 comments:

April said...

Wahoo! I'd love to see you soon and your new place.

likeschocolate said...

There are three things I miss about Switzerland: 1)my boys walking to school 2) literally walking out my front door a set of stair and into the Migros -very handy when you forget something because it was so close that I could send my 9 year old at the time to pick something up. 3) the bread and opps 4)the mountains, but you have that in SLC. When you are looking for somewhere yummy to eat don't forget to eat at Tuile Bakery 863 east 700 south. I think that might be sugarhouse district or just up the street from Trolly Square.

likeschocolate said...

p.s. you have to come visit my blog and check out this really cool bike/stroller on my blog. It is so cool. If we have another child, I think I am going to bed my husband for this.

jessi said...

Oh, what a sweet post. I will continue to enjoy your thoughts and sentiments about transitioning from our two very different lives/places (US and Switzerland). You are right though - you can find your own simple life in being the mom of small children no matter where you are. Continue to have fun with making your new home and your new life just what you want it to be.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet Family,

How I miss U. I will see you soon though. My heart is breaking because I want to see you so much.
My heart is also happy for you to be able to buy a beautiful home. I had thought a few years ago. I don't know if my children will ever be able to afford homes. Now look at you guys. Tally thank you for being such a good husband, father and provider. Jess, what can I say you are an excellent mother, wife and daughter. I couldn't be happier. Tears are running down my face they must be connected to my heart somehow. Love you all so much!!!! Mimi